THE EARLY MELBOURNE RAILWAY SYSTEM
Wonderful old pictures of past Melbourne
The Great Iron Store was imported from England as a prefabricated iron building and erected on this site in 1853. Opened as a general store, it was also a meeting place for the residents of Emerald Hill. It was here in 1855, that residents voted to separate Emerald Hill from the City of Melbourne and the first municipal election was held.